You will fall into either one of two categories, 1. You have eaten a camp oven lamb roast before, or 2. You have never had the joy of tasting something that is cooked over the coals of a heart warming camp fire in the goodness that is a camp oven. Which one are you?
If you fall into the first category then you won’t need to be persuaded into being told just how good something cooked over a camp fire is, let alone how irresistable a camp oven lamb roast can be.
If you fall into the second category then you don’t know what you are missing out on, because there is just something really special about cooking over a camp fire and cooking with a camp oven, but don’t fear because I have got you covered with this super simple, tasty, camp oven lamb roast.
Cooking on a camp fire is one of the most enjoyable methods of cooking, atleast in my humble opinion, and then to take it to the next level add a camp oven and then watch the mouth watering goodness really come to life. So use this camp oven lamb roast recipe as pure inspiration to get started on your own cullinary camp oven journey.
– Leg of Lamb.
– 2-3 cloves of Garlic
– Olive Oil
– Sweet Potatoes
– Start your camp fire and build yourself a healthy base of hot coals.
– Place your camp oven next to the camp fire and allow it to pre heat, just like you would the oven in your kitchen.
– Take your leg of lamb and on one side make numerous small cuts, or pockets, in the top side of the leg of lamb.
– Peel the garlic and cut the cloves into thin slivers.
– Insert the slivers of Garlic into the pockets you have just cut.
– Season the Lamb with a generous amount of Rosemary, salt and pepper.
– Lightly coat the lamb in olive oil and rub the oil and seasonings into the meat.
– Remove the camp oven from the heat and generously oil the camp oven.
– Place the seasoned leg of lamb into the camp oven. A general rule of thumb is that you cook the roast for 1 hour per 1 kilogram of meat.
– Place the camp oven on a bed of hot coals and cover the lid with hot coals,. Be sure to rotate the camp oven regularly to ensure an even heat right the way around the camp oven.
– Take the Carrots, Potatoes, Sweet Potato and Onion and cut into evenly sized pieces and season with salt, pepper and oil.
– When the Leg of Lamb is a bit over half cooked, about 45 minutes to 1 hour left of cooking time, remove the lid of the camp oven and add, the previously cut vegetables, to the camp oven around the leg of lamb and refit the lid.
– Continue cooking the roast until the meat and vegetables are cooked.
– To tell if the meat is cooked, spike the roast, with a roasting fork and inspect the juices that ooze out of the spike marks, the meat juices should be clear/opaque in colour.
– Once the roast is cooked remove it from the camp oven and sit aside to rest.
– Slice the cooked roast and serve, on a plate, the lamb and roast vegetables with gravy.
– A camp oven damper is the perfect side to this mouth watering Camp Oven Roast Lamb.
As you can tell cooking up a camp oven lamb roast is not only easy but it is really enjoying and satisfying, especially when you get to show off to family and friends and cook for them. One of the best side effects of cooking up a magnificent feast, like a camp oven lamb roast, and nailing it, is that those you cook for will be so blown away with the taste, the ambience and the quality of your cooking that they will automatically feel obliged to do all the washing up, you won’t even have to ask for help doing that.
So what are you waiting for, get yourself a camp oven, fire up the camp fire, grab a leg of lamb from the supermarket, scrape some vegetables together and create some amazing memories with this easy camp oven lamb roast.
Stay tuned for the perfect accompaniment to a roast when I share with you an easy camp oven damper. Not sure what a damper is then get ready for the next Adventure Cook Up’s recipe for that one.
Until next time go and create your own memories as we adventure, discover, explore, Every Road.